I was advised to first run the blank TLC plate in 1-3% triethylamine (TEA) in EtOAc. I was also advised to carry out the blank run this way two or three times. I tried 1% and 3% and did the blank run one, two and three times to obtain six results. I found that with 1% TEA the Rf increased to 0.09 and 3% TEA increased it to 0.10. There was no change in Rf when the blank run was carried out one, two or three times.
I had some diazobicyclooctane (DABCO) and I tried to deactivate with this and also to carry out the run itself with a small amount of DABCO in the solvent. I found that this worked poorly and that the DABCO was viewable itself under UV light which interfered with viewing the compound.